Mar 24, 2010

The Value of Architecture, is there?

Lately I am thinking a lot of the value of architecture. There is a house for sale in the Hollywood Hills. It is a steel-framed residence and a studio on a secluded .76-acre lot designed by Raphael S. Soriano for late Julius Shulman, who was the icon photographer for the mid-century modern architecture. His pictures helped promote the modern architecture significantly. I had an opportunity to meet Mr. Shulman and see the house when I lived in LA. It is a true mid-century house. After his passing last year, the house became for sale. Despite his genius skill to capture the beauty of architecture, the pictures of his property was rather disappointing. I wish that the listing agent have had courtesy to at least hire a decent professional photographer to capture the soul of the house. More than three months on the market, as far as I know, the property is still available. Is it because of the list price($2,495M) ? Or the house is falling apart? Do people pay extra for architecturally significant property? Is there any quantitative value for architecture? I hope so. In any case, it is a collector’s treasure and I wish someone who cares of architecture carefully restore and take good care of it. The house was designated a Cultural Heritage Monument by the city of Los Angeles. Please share your thoughts with me. — Hiroko

No comments:

Post a Comment